Big Heart clan leaders have already been putting our hearts and minds together to come up with meals that both nourish the community and are also simple and quick to prepare. In this way, we all support each other, including the prep teams and clean-up teams so they, too, can have a wonderful time at camp.
Bring any items from this list that you will eat and in the quantity greater than what your own family would eat in the time period you’ll be at camp. DO please stick to items on this list. (If you have specific dietary needs, you may bring and store those needed items in your car… safely away from Brother Bear.) We can always use extra coolers at the Food Truck; please mark your name on it clearly so we can announce when it’s free to take back.
If possible within your budget, please bring produce that is local and/or organic. And, because WATER IS AT A PREMIUM IN CAMP, we cannot stress enough…
PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL PRODUCE IS WASHED AND DRIED!
- Bread – pre-sliced; gluten-free if that’s your preference
- Dry Cereal/ Granola
- Nuts, Nut Butters, Jelly, Butter or Substitute
- Cheese and cheese spreads
- Eggs (at least two dozen)
- Milk and Half and Half – cow or alternative.
- Juice: orange, *grapefruit, or apple (please no high fructose corn syrup)
- Beverages – tea, lemonade, etc. (preferably low or no sugar added and please no high fructose corn syrup)
- Hearty Lettuce – romaine, spinach, or any head lettuce,
- Leafy Greens – kale, spinach, shredded cabbage, chard, etc. – PRE-WASHED AND DRIED PLEASE!
- Pre-packaged salad greens – baby spinach, baby romaine, baby romaine, baby kale, arugula etc. (organic if feasible)
- Cabbage – pre-shredded
- Vegetables — carrots (regular, baby carrots and pre-shredded), celery, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers, broccoli, etc. (feel free to bring from your garden other items not listed) – PRE-WASHED and DRIED PLEASE!
- Sweet Potatoes, Onions, Garlic
- Salad dressings, including oil and vinegar
- Fresh Herbs: Basil, chives, scallions, parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, cilantro, ginger, etc.- PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY ARE WASHED, DRIED AND LABELED
- Fresh Fruits that will not spoil easily
By the way, in case we forgot to request it … PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL PRODUCE IS WASHED AND DRIED!
- Canned Beans – black beans, red beans, garbanzo/chick peas, and/or kidney (no dried beans)
- Tofu – please only bring organic soy
- Hummus, Salsa, Bean Dips, Guacamole, and easy other lunch items that store well (no open containers).
- Snack Items – chips, Crackers, etc. – (at least one per family per day)
- Dessert (at least one PER FAMILY)
- Coffee & Tea – bring DECAF if you drink it! – and tea bags (our coffee and tea supply need to be completely revamped – so if you drink either, please bring more than enough for the ammount you’re likely to drink through the weekend.
MEATS: Canned Tuna and/or Chicken (bulk cans appreciated!)
PLEASE NOTE: Please DO NOT BRING OTHER MEAT as we do not have the resources to keep it properly stored and kept safely refrigerated through the weekend. Hearty meat soups and stews are being provided, prepared, and gifted to the community for meals after lodges on Saturday and Sunday evenings by generous cooks within our Big Heart family (and we’re working on trying out a pasta night with meat sauce, too).
WATER: Please bring your own drinking water and extra for the lodge and community – one gallon per family per day you are here.
*Items starred are great ʻsweatingʼ foods. They can help restore essential minerals, help ʻgroundʼ and balance your body, or balance salt levels and rehydrate! Bananas have potassium, and grapefruit alkalizes and reduces swelling.
Other Suggestions For Your Own Personal Use:
*Seaweed (helps with muscle cramping, restoring salts)
*Electrolyte Mix (such as Emergen’C’ powder packets) to help hydrate your body
*Coconut Water (EXCELLENT at re-hydrating, contains more potassium and minerals than anything else)
PLEASE NOTE: If you arrive shortly before time to enter the lodge on Saturday or Sunday, please keep your food in your car until after the lodge ceremony ends. This allows our sisters and brothers in the food truck and food prep clans the opportunity to participate in the lodge. Thank you for your consideration.
Oh, and did we mention… PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL PRODUCE IS WASHED AND DRIED!